Bath Benches & Stools
6 Tips to Prevent Falls in the Bathroom from Dahl Medical Supply.
The bathroom is one of the most potentially dangerous rooms in the home, particularly for older adults. Help prevent "I've fallen and can't get up" situations with these quick and easy steps.
1. Make the shower accessible: Avoid hazards such as wet and slippery surfaces, loose rugs, and sharp corners. Modify the entrance to the tub or shower by installing a walk in tub/shower. However, if this is not an option like most make sure to purchase a transfer bench to help alleviate falls while stepping over the tub or shower entrance.
2. Use non-slip bath mats: Avoid slipping and falling while in the shower by selecting the right size bathtub mat and replace every 6-7 months.
3. Replace shower head: Replace the standard shower head in the bathtub or shower with handheld shower spray that has an extra-long hose that can also be mounted like a traditional showerhead.
4. Install grab/assist bars: Place grab/assist bars anywhere you or the individual in need, needs extra stability such as shower, toilet and tub. Make sure the grab bar you select is secure (Grab Bars are not designed to be weight bearing).
5. Raised toilet seat & assist handles: The Raised toilet seat with elevated seat and padded arms will help individuals who need a boost sitting down or standing up from the toilet.
6. Install safety/night lights: Use night lights to help navigate through the bathroom so at no time is the bathroom dark.