Welcome to Dahl Medical Supply

Need To Rent Medical Equipment? Learn More

Golden Technology Flag Ship Dealer!

Minnesota #1 Selection of In-Stock Medical Lift Chairs

Scooter & Powerchair Insurance Coverage

  • *Please note that most insurance companies follow the Medicare Guidelines and this information provided is what Medicare requires to obtain a scooter or powerchair. 
  • 1). Qualifying for a power wheelchair: To qualify for a power wheelchair through Medicare, you must have a medical condition that makes it difficult for you to move around in your home and complete daily activities. This condition must also be expected to last at least six months.
  • 2). Get a prescription from your doctor: Your doctor must evaluate your condition and prescribe a power wheelchair if they determine it is medically necessary. They will also need to provide documentation to support your need for a power wheelchair.
The order should say the following:
  • Your health makes it very hard to move around in your home, even with the help of a walker or cane
  • It is difficult for you to perform activities of daily living (such as bathing and dressing) in your home
  • You cannot use a manual wheelchair or scooter but can safely use a power wheelchair or scooter
  • The wheelchair will help with a specific medical condition or injury and be used in the home
  • And, you had a face-to-face meeting with the doctor
    • This meeting should take place no more than 45 days before the prescription is written.
  • 4). Submit paperwork to Medicare: Dahl Medical Supply will assist you in submitting the necessary paperwork to Medicare. This paperwork includes a doctor's prescription, medical documentation, and a Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN) form with a seating assessment and signed clinical notes backing up the doctors prescription.
  • 5). Wait for approval: Once Medicare receives your paperwork, they will review it to determine if you meet the criteria for a scooter or power wheelchair. If you are approved, Medicare will cover 80% of the cost of the equipment, and you will be responsible for the remaining 20% (unless you have supplemental insurance that covers that portion).
  • 6). Receive your power wheelchair: If you are approved, Dahl Medical will provide you with your scooter or power wheelchair and any necessary training on how to use it.
It's important to note that the process of obtaining a power wheelchair through Medicare can be lengthy and may require additional documentation or information. It's best to work closely with your doctor and us at Dahl Medical Supply to ensure you have all the necessary information and paperwork submitted correctly and in a timely manner.

*Please Note: You can only receive Medicare coverage for one item that addresses at home mobility issues (Lift chair, Scooter or Power Chair). If you have a waiver through the state or county, please contact your Cadi Manager as they might be able to assist in getting other necessary equipment.

Drop us a line.

Experience Quality Products and Exceptional Service at Dahl Medical Supply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.